Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Starting now!

  Life is full of obstacles. Some times these obstacles can become overwhelming and seem to consume your every thought.  One of the most consuming things that a person can experience is to suffer from a disease.  “Your lifestyle - how you live, eat, emote, and think - determines your health. To prevent disease, you may have to change how you live.” -Brian Carter


 To give some background about myself, I am 29 years old and am an Infantryman in the US Army.  All my life I  have had issues with controlling my weight and bouts of serious fatigue and muscle pain, some times worse than others.  Most of the time I thought of these as normal, and thought maybe I was lazy when the fatigue slowed me down.  Then about 2 years ago I started to feel more fatigue and more muscle and joint pain, along with multiple other symptoms to include a gain of 30lbs in only 2 months.  These symptoms progressed slowly over that first year.  Then while I was deployed in Afghanistan on combat operations I started to become very ill, I felt as if I had an ever lasting flu. I was in complete slow motion and the pain radiated through every square inch of my body.  One day I was hurt and taken to our medical outpost where I had blood taken, after the 6 weeks it took to get results I was told that I was "hypothyroid" with a TSH level of 86.  I was immediately prescribed synthroid and prepped to be MEDIVAC'd (evacuated for medical reasons) from Afghanistan to Germany.  After further tests I was also found to have very highly elevated anti-body levels.  Once, I was stabilized I was sent home.  For a year I have been trying to get this under control and have had great difficultly with Army medical and have never even been sent to an actual Endocrinologist.  It took 8 months to get my TSH levels within range and I am now on 120mg daily of Armour Thyroid. Only problem is, I am still suffering from the fatigue and muscle pain and have had no success with my doctor in finding the reason why I am still ill.  I have found that it is common for one to suffer from more than just one auto-immune disease.  Being I am having little to no success with my doctor I have taken it into my own hands to research auto-immune diseases and take steps to defeat them.  


 I know how hard losing weight can be when suffering from this disease. Whether it be from the slower metabolism, the water retention, or even just because the fatigue, pain and mental fog cause you to not want to do anything.  Trust me I know!  Being I am pursuing a degree in Exercise Physiology, I find a great interest in the roles that physical activity can play in rehabilitation and prevention of disease.  So, what I am wanting to do with this blog is to experiment with different types of exercise and nutrition and attempt to find ways to reduce the symptoms and loss weight and help others that are trying to find this information as well.  



No comments:

Post a Comment