Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Researching

So, this weekend between going to the longest consecutive veterans day celebration, college and pro football games and a Ducks Unlimited banquet, I did some research on nutritional  recommendations.  I found a lot of mention of the adverse effects of Gluten on the immune system, causing increase in organ-specific anti-bodies, like those that attack the thyroid.  Therefore, when it comes to nutrition I am going to start to reduce the amount of gluten I take in, as much as possible.  I expect weight loss results from this because it will also reduce my carbohydrate intake and my body will achieve ketosis and burn more fat.  This of course is great, but one thing I'll be looking for after 4-6 weeks is whether or not I am feeling any better, symptom-wise.  Research studies have shown that after 3 to 6 months of gluten-free dieting organ-specific anti-bodies vanish and hashimoto's symptoms as well as gastro-intestinal issues that many of us also deal with can be reduced. (http://thyroid.about.com/cs/latestresearch/a/celiac.htm)  As for my work-out, I am going to be quite a bit of cardio, mostly on the elliptical trainer.  I had abdominal surgery a year ago and spinal surgery in June '10 so I am still at a point that I have to be careful and slowly phase myself back into the tough total body, high-impact workouts.

My stats right now are 5'9" and 235lbs. I also have body measurements that i'll put up later.  My BMI is 34.7, though I am a muscular guy naturally this is not very accurate, it rates me as obese.  I use BMI only due to the fact that it is easy to calculate and it is a easy way to measure progress.  I will also attempt to get a body fat % later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment